By Emeka Okafor
A serving Major-General in the Nigerian Army, Hassan Ahmed, has been murdered by unknown gunmen in Abuja.
The late general was said to be returning from Okene in Kogi State when his convoy was ambushed by suspected assassins.
The attack took place on Thursday night around Abaji area of the Federal Capital Territory.
Ahmed, a former Provost Marshall of the Nigerian Army, died from gunshot injuries sustained during that attack.
ALSO READ: SCOAN’s Succession: We’re Following Prophet TB Joshua’s Instructions
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has confirmed the killing of the senior officer.
A statement by Army Spokesman, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, expressed sadness over the shocking demise of the general.
He said the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Farouk Yahaya, had already sent a delegation to condole with the victim’s family.
The statement read,” With a heavy heart, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Farouk Yahaya, Officers and Soldiers of the Nigerian Army regret to announce the passing on of Maj.-Gen. Hassan Ahmed, a former Provost Marshall of the Nigerian Army.
”The sad incident occurred when the senior officer’s vehicle was attacked by gunmen while transiting along Lokoja – Abuja road yesterday 15 July 2021.
”A delegation from the Army Headquarters led by the Chief of Policy and Plans (Army) Maj.-Gen. Anthony Omozoje has visited the widow and other members of the bereaved family.
YOU MAY ALSO READ: Army Denies Releasing 1,009 Ex-Boko Haram Members To Borno Govt
”Members of the Nigerian Army Officers’ Wives Association (NAOWA) led by the Deputy National President, Mrs Stella Omozoje have also visited the family to condole with them.”
The remains of the deceased senior officer will be buried at the Lungi Barracks Cemetery, Abuja by 10am on Friday (today).